Being nervous and anxious are common ways to feel when you think about visiting any medical professional. But the truth is, we need to see the doctor when we aren’t feeling good to find relief.
You may think you know what chiropractors do, but what exactly can you expect on your first chiropractor visit? Let’s put you at ease by discussing:
- Things you can do before your first visit with your chiropractor
- What your chiropractor will do on the first visit
- What to expect after your first chiropractic appointment
- How your future appointments with your chiropractor will go
Things to Know Before Visiting The Chiropractor
As with any first doctor’s visit, it’s recommended to arrive early to fill out all the necessary paperwork. Your first chiropractor visit is usually your first treatment session, so it’s essential to dress in comfortable, loose clothing.
Other things to avoid wearing to your first chiropractor visit include:
- Suit and tie. You don’t need to dress formally for this visit since this outfit may restrict movement.
- Layers. Even if it’s cold, bulky clothing or various layers can make it harder to perform adjustments.
- Jewelry. Items such as bracelets and necklaces can get tangled up in clothing during an adjustment.
- Skirts/dresses. Shorts and pants will make it more comfortable to move the body parts being adjusted.
- Heels. Comfortable shoes are just as important as comfortable clothing.
Before arriving at the chiropractor’s office, you should write down any questions you might have about your visit. It’s also vital that you bring any equipment currently used for support or reducing pain. Your chiropractor will be able to provide the best care if they have a complete picture of your current health.
What to Expect on Your Initial Chiropractic Visit
Your initial visit with your chiropractor can last around one hour. Your chiropractor will begin by analyzing all the paperwork, especially those related to your medical history. The better your chiropractor gets to understand your current health, the better care they will provide.
The next step is to receive a physical examination, which is comprised of:
- Felling your spine
- Moving your joints
- Watching the way you walk
- Testing your muscle strength, reflexes, and range of motion
In case your chiropractor does start your treatment, then you will receive your first adjustment. But it’s important to relax because you shouldn’t experience any pain from a chiropractic adjustment. Aside from this procedure, they could also include applying heat or ice and a muscle massage.
What to Expect After Your Chiropractic Appointment
After your chiropractic visit, you should be able to continue your day as usual. The chiropractor will discuss any possible activities pertaining to your situation that you should avoid. You may also experience some soreness for about two days.
Keep in mind to mention to your chiropractor any pain that lasts for multiple days or gets worse.
The clinical team at Spine Health and Wellness is dedicated to providing you with comprehensive and conservative treatments to benefit your overall health starting from your first visit. Future chiropractic appointments will depend on the treatment plan that’s right for you and will be shorter (about 10 to 20 minutes) than your first visit.
We are eager to meet you, so please schedule an appointment today!