The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the world to shift many jobs to the home. The result is that the time people spend sitting in front of a computer screen has increased. These are prime conditions for developing conditions like neck pain and headaches.
Can a chiropractor help alleviate the pain from these conditions? Chiropractic care has proven to be beneficial for an array of issues.
What is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is a healthcare industry profession that focuses on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system. In this field of study, the concern is diagnosing and treating these disorders and the effects they have on our general health.
The musculoskeletal system consists of:
The nervous system is a complex network of nerves and cells, made up of the central and peripheral nervous systems, responsible for carrying messages to and from the brain and spinal cord to the body.
A negative impact on these systems by external factors can cause:
- Disc issues
- Back pain
- Neck pain
How Can The Chiropractor Help With Neck Pain?
The neck, medically known as the cervical spine, starts at the base of the skull and connects at the bottom to our upper back.
Causes of Neck Pain
The cervical spine has to support, on average, about 12 pounds of the weight from your head. For this reason, it’s affected by:
- Accidents. Any impact that causes your head to jolt will cause the muscles around your neck to tighten and contract, resulting in pain and stiffness. Whiplash is also common in car accidents.
- Lifestyle. Bad habits, like slouching, can lead to chronic neck pain. Poor posture and a lack of strengthening exercises for your body will also negatively affect your neck.
- Other conditions. Certain diseases like osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease can lead to chronic neck pain.
When you visit your chiropractor, they will perform physical and neurological exams to determine which movements are causing your neck pain, check your reflexes, and study the spread of the pain.
Some chiropractic procedures they perform will include:
- Neck adjustment. The procedure is applied directly to the joints in the neck and will improve mobility.
- Spinal decompression. A technique used to alleviate pain in the back and neck using traction to relieve the pressure off of compressed spinal discs
How Can The Chiropractor Help With Headaches?
The majority of headaches people experience are primary headaches that result from overactivity of pain-sensitive features in your head.
Causes of Headaches
Some of the reasons for our headaches include:
- Bad posture. Slouching, sitting too long, and forward neck are all positions to avoid
- Nutrition. Skipping meals or certain foods can bring on headaches
- Environment. Certain noises, lights, and stress can trigger a headache
A chiropractor will assess and diagnose the type of headache you are experiencing. To relieve the stress placed on your body due to the overactivity, they can perform:
- Adjustments. These can improve spinal function by increasing the range of motion.
- Soft tissue therapy. A combination of spinal manipulation, muscle manipulation, and rehabilitation exercises.
Chiropractors You Can Trust
Spine Health and Wellness has put together an excellent team that’s ready to use their knowledge and experience for your benefit. Any neck pain or headaches that persist longer than a couple of days is an indication we can help.
Contact us today and start feeling better sooner than later!